Re: [ga] Re: Non-commercial character and conflict of interest

Mark and all,

Mark Perkins wrote:

I think 1st amendment debates are interesting but perhaps not relevant?
  Perhaps, and than again perhaps not...  However whichever is the
case or determination it is incumbent on the ICANN membership
in general that this decision should sit with, not any one constituency,
in as much as that said membership can and should be able to make
that decision based on basic democratic principals, within the framework
of the White Paper and the MoU...
non-profit which can define it's membership can also define who may speak at
it's meetings and be published in it lists....IE. not withstanding the White
Paper, it is for NCDNHC / ICANN to decide.
  To a point agreed.  However that point has a very distinct line in which
the ICANN and the NCDNHC, or any other constituency cannot and should
not cross.  In that the ICANN is a US based organization and registered as
a non-profit corporation under California law, and thereby subservient to
US federal mandate, the distinction is plainly evident to the relevantly
knowledgeable...
Even with the White Paper, there
is the question of interpretation. Lets decide what we want & then see if
there are legal /  bureaucratic obstacles.
  The interpretation is very narrow, as it adequately spelled out in the
White Paper itself.  Your suggested approach here would be a gross
error in both judgment and in practice as it would inevitably lead to
endless law suits that the ICANN can ill afford on several levels.

NB. Regarding referring legalistically to US 1st Amendment - I would be very
wary. While I am personally in favour of freedom of speech, I would not want
NCDNHC or ICANN to be seen as limited by US law, given that they are meant
to be International Organisations.....

  Meant to be and are is two entirely different things.  I in the beginning
recommended to the than "Newco" (Now ICANN) that they should apply
as a International corporation.  The ICANN (Initial?) and Interim board
decided that this was not necessary.  An unfortunate error in judgment
on the part of the than NEW "Appointed" ICANN (Initial?) Interim Board.
One of many mistakes, I might add as well...  Hence we have to deal
with the reality  of the current situation, that being that the ICANN
IS a US based jurisdictionaly and legally, organization....

Mark Perkins

Librarian (acting)

Secretariat of the Pacific Community Library

BP D5, 98848 Noumea Cedex

New Caledonia, South Pacific

Tel: 00 687 262000  Fax: 00 687 263818

email: markp@spc.org.nc / web: http://www.spc.org.nc