ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] Verisign spamming domain name registrants??

On 4 Jun 2003 at 11:39, George Kirikos wrote:

> It'd be as "personalized" (i.e. unique and targeted) as any of the
> phony renewals notices, I imagine.
>
> Would it be ok for others, following this precedent, to do as Verisign
> does, with their own "informational messages"?

Define "informational messages."  If it means administrative notices, that should
come from the registrar of record for the domain, not the registry.  I am not the
customer of the registry unless it is a "thick" model.

If a message is issued by the registrar with whom you have the domain, it would be
not only acceptable, but, IMO, expected.  However, coming from the parent registry
with whom you do "not" have a customer/vendor relationship, it is spam.  Even if the
registry (assuming a "thin" model) is instituting changes in policy, it should reach
registrants via the sponsoring registrar.  In the case of a "thick" model, where the
registrant also has a relationship with the registry itself, administrative messages
might be expected from both registrar and registry.

My domains are registered with a registrar other than NSI and I delete messages
from NSI and/or Verisign.  I get Verisign spams all the time and simply filter them to
dev/null.  Any message I receive from my registrar is opened immediately as long as
there are no attachments and no html.  My mail client is set to read text only and
attachments are stripped or quarantined by my firewall.

There are many negative issues with WLS.  I have a sick feeling that it's going to
backfire badly and do substantial harm to registrants, along with the extortion
exhibited with RGP.  The unprededented greed is geared to milk the public world
wide until individuals revolt in some way.  How long before this happens?  I don't
know, but we're all in for a rocky ride.

Leah