ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[ga] ICANN's Monday meeting minutes: WLS reconsideration requests

Hello,

See their unsurprising vote here:

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-02jun03.htm

I'm sure this will be appealed once more. Indeed, ICANN has also failed
for the past *9 months* to submit to the Independent Review Policy,
which was properly made here:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/brannon-letter-to-lynn-09sep02.htm

I'm curious to know how ICANN is going to spin the fact that WLS will
require:

"d) With regard to transparency of information regarding WLS
subscriptions, there shall be an effective mechanism for actively
notifying the current domain-name holder upon the placing of a WLS
subscription on the name, without revealing the identity of the party
holding the WLS subscription;"

It appears to me that this imposes an OBLIGATION upon registrars to be
cooperative in sharing their customer data with VGRS, for the purpose
of this notification. In light of the concerns over data-mining the
WHOIS, I wonder what other "services" registrars will be forced to
market, to be in compliance with these registry-monopoly services?
Indeed, a registrar who does not want anything to do with WLS will
still have their customers targeted by these notification.

Perhaps those consensus policies paragraphs need to be re-read by
people, when the appeals begin.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/