ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[ga] Re: FC: Steve Mann's struggles with Verisign and modest Perl proposal

Declan, Steve and all,

  Yes the problem with Transfer of Domain Names is still a problem
that supposedly the ICANN TF Task Force is suppose to be
working on and have issued a final report.  Yet the problem still
continue and are hampering registrants as well as disenfranchising
many registrants to the point of distraction and disruptiveness.  WLS
is supposedly under yet another ICANN "Study" as a proposed
solution..
For other references see the following links Steve:
 http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20021212.NCTransferTF-gaining-and-losing-registrars.html

 http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20021130.NCWhoisTF-accuracy-and-bulkaccess.html
  http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-transfer/Arc02/
also comments can be sent to the following "Black Hole" E-Mail address
if you are so inclined:  mailto:comments-transfer@dnso.org

  I will pass this along, along with you script (See Below) to others
that have an interest in this.  Thanks again Steve and Declan for this
update and info.

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [My version of lynx doesn't support https URLs, otherwise I'd join the fun,
> but FYI... --Declan]
>
> ---
>
> Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:29:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: Steve Mann <mann@eecg.toronto.edu>
> To: declan@well.com
> Subject: Trying to get a response from Network Solutions (Verisign)
> Cc: mann@genesis.eecg.toronto.edu
>
> Here's something your PoliTech readers might find interesting:
>
> --------included file--------
>
> I've been trying to transfer from the domain name monopoly
> (Netsol/Verisign) to another registrar, but they keep making it harder
> and harder to transfer.  (See http://wearcam.org/verisign/)
>
> I've tried phone calls, faxes, letters, but no luck.
>
> One of the reasons I'm transferring is that I don't agree to
> their Terms and Conditions, and they even have Terms and Conditions to
> "Agree" to in order to terminate service with them.  I was going to
> Ouijagree (e.g. get a bunch of friends to sit around the
> mouse/planchette, and make the spirits of the dead be bound by their
> Terms and Conditions, (href=http://wearcam.org/ouiki/index.htm)
> but I thought another approach would be the following shell script,
> which would hopefully help them get the message that I'd like to switch
> registrars.  If others would be willing to help me in transferring this
> domain, please consider running the following shell script.  If enough
> people run it, perhaps it would get their attention.  I've just finished
> being on "hold" for 2 hours on the telephone, and I'd really rather have
> my computer do the work+waiting, rather than me:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> while (1) {
>   $commandstr = sprintf("lynx -dump
> https://registrar-transfers.com/\?h=bf97ce18c1f368afb106699eea6e802e >>
> temp.txt");
>   ($sec, $min, $hour, $mday, $mon, $year, $wday, $yday,
> $isdst)=localtime(time);
>   $d=sprintf("$sec, $min, $hour, $mday, $mon, $year, $wday, $yday, $isdst");
>   $datecommand = sprintf("echo $d >> temp.txt");
>   printf("lynx $d\n");
>   system($datecommand);
>   system($commandstr);
> }
>
> The logfile allows a graph to later be plotted of update frequency as a
> function of time.
>
> This might also form a nice experiment to see if enough requests are
> made, do they get the message?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801