ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[ga] Re: Budget Input

On 23 Dec 2002 at 17:20, M. Stuart Lynn wrote:

> I am writing to seek any thoughts, comments, suggestions that the
> ccTLD constituency might have regarding the ICANN 2003-2004 budget
> that commences July 1, 2003. This request is distinct from my separate
> request to you for ccTLD nominations to the Budget Advisory Group.

Stuart,
this is a personal response, as the ccTLD adcom has yet to meet in the
New Year, and the pressure of work prevented the last call, scheduled
during the countdown to summer vacations, Xmas et al.

First, I think it is important to note that there is no longer a cctld
constituency.The ccTLDs in Shanghai completed the long- promised
withdrawal from it, leaving the legal structure an unpopulated husk.

There is no such constituency in the reformed GNSO.

The ctlds expect there to be place for them in the reformed ICANN,
namely a ccSO, but it is not clear yet that the present reform process is
going to result in a structure which will be so attractive to cctlds that they
will join up in any significant numbers.

The primary obstacle remains likely to be any further attempts by ICANN
to institute new, top down control over the "sovereign" cctlds through the
PDP and  Contracts, fuelled by the recollection of misuses by ICANN of
its stewardship of the IANA function.

I am hopeful that an arrangement will be reached on these issues, and
turn to specific issues of the  Budget.

It would be helpful to have your official and formal reaction to the cctlds'
Bucharest statement on this matter : to date I am not aware of any
response from you.

The statement is at www.wwtld.org/documents, and reads in part:

"7     The ccTLDs are committed to funding those overheads of the
corporation directly related
    to ccTLD activities, for example the IANA services, and in addition are
willing to make a
    fair contribution to ICANN for its more general overheads. While the
level of funding is
    not a requisite part of the re-structuring debate, we make the following
points:

    7.1 The ccTLDs are resolved that there should be no cross-subsidy of
non-ccTLD-related
    expenditure by ccTLD income as we have already engaged in time-
consuming and costly
    local policy processes.

    7.2 When the Budget is approved by the ccSO, the ccTLDs will
guarantee funding the
    contribution agreed.

    7.3 For the ccSO to approve those portions of the budget relating to
ccTLD matters, it will
    require that its delegates or representatives take part in the Budget
process and are able to
    review details of expenditure (which include the allocation and the
basis of the allocation
    of the global ccTLD contribution) early in the budget process. That
information is,
    currently, not provided.

   7.4 The ccSO will determine the allocation of the global contribution
among its members."

If you would begin by confirming that detailed information on the IANA
costs break down will be made available to any representatives of the
ccTLDs, (in confidence, if appropriate) that should encourage the
appointment of cctld representatives to the budget process.

I would also appreciate your confirmation that the official ICANN position
on funding by the cctlds is still that it will be the individual contract each
cctld has with ICANN which will create an obligation binding the cctld to
fund ICANN, with the amount in any given year to be approved by a
policy process in the ccSO.

I think it is important to be able to assure ccTLDs that the sum which
each ccTLD will in future be obligated to pay to ICANN will be set by an
open and transparent process, operated within the ccSO, and not subject
to the control of ICANN or other entities outside the ccSO.

That way, there is both a further reason to encourage their participation in
that ICANN entity, and an answer to those who challenge the contracts on
the basis that they create un-enforceable (void for uncertainty) or unfair
open-ended obligations.

Your views on the other points will also be appreciated.

My best regards for 2003

Peter Dengate Thrush