Re: [ga] RE: Who'se done it? .org IDNs killed

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, at 17:11 [=GMT+0200], Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> > Stability?
>
> Stability between standards: if RFC 3490 is one day updated or
> replaced by another, we expect that the registrants of RFC3490 domains
> will be offered some form of free upgrade. We expect that they will
> not loose anything just because IETF evolved.
>
> But there is no reason to guarantee any stability between experiments
> and the real stuff.

I find this an arbitrary distinction with no basis in reality. 3490 is not
the first RFC about IDN, is it? Why make this particular text into some
sort of law and paradigm? Whether it leads to something in rela internet
life remains to be seen, as with all RFCs for new protocols or new
enhancements.

> That's what experiments are for. (ICP-3 gives
> details about that, although this document is not often quoted because
> the pro-domo speech of ICANN is annoying.)

ICP-3 has indeed even less value as a 'law'.

--
[09] Seventh invitation to join us.
http://logoff.org/