Re: [ga] Internationalized Domain Names deployed

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 06:48:41PM -0700,
 Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote
 a message of 97 lines which said:

> IDN systems that have been in place for a few years now.

Using proprietary techniques. So, it doesn't count. Internet is based
on open standards.

> Hence to say it works is a relative conclusion.  And is so,
> simply because the IETF does not necessarily SET standards
> for any and all technical processes  for IT technology

Yes, we also have the W3C and some others. But I count as "standards"
and worthy of consideration only the works produced by open groups,
not anything coming from a given company.

> However the IETF "Approach" is not designed to be interoperable at
> all with previous working techniques

Of course, there is no reason to support proprietary legacy
techniques.