[ga] RE: Who'se done it? .org IDNs killed

Marc,

I appreciate your frustration with the problems you're currently
experiencing with your .org IDN domain, and because PIR policy prohibits
discussing specific domain issues with anyone other than the registrant and
registrar, I will not post the exact cause of the issues you're experiencing
on these lists.  I will send you our findings via a separate email.

What I would like to remind you and the community about, however, is that
when PIR assumed responsibility for the .org TLD, we made it clear to our
registrar partners (for communication to their customers) that we would not
support nor charge for existing IDN registrations, since they did not meet
any industry-accepted standards.  In short, IDN domain registrations are
currently locked at the registry level, so that changes to the domain name
record are not allowed.

As noted by ICANN yesterday, PIR is one of the registries that will work
within the IDN Guidelines produced.  As we determine how best to introduce
IDN registrations that address the needs of the community, as well as how
best to transition the existing legacy .org IDNs, we will be pleased to
communicate our plans.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce W. Beckwith