[ga] ICANN Board Hypocrisy

Hello,

I found it interesting to read about the new WHOIS Data Reminder
Policy, which was posted at:

http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-16jun03.htm

Reading the associated Minutes is very illuminating:

http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-27mar03.htm#GNSORecommendationonWhoisAccuracyandBulkAccess

"Mr. Chapin stated his view that the four recommendations under
consideration are innocuous, and that it is important to proceed with
adoption of Supporting-Organization-developed proposals in the absence
of significant, concrete objections. Mr. Cohen agreed with Mr. Chapin,
and noted that there had been extensive discussion of these four,
relatively modest, revisions in the GNSO and at the ICANN Public
Forum....Dr. Campos and Dr. Lynn noted their view that it is important
to accord respect to the bottom-up policy-development process of the
GNSO."

(those Minutes were approved as accurate -- see:
http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-02jun03.htm )

I wonder why the above reasoning doesn't apply to WLS and the consensus
recommendation *against it* in the DSNO?

If and when WLS ever goes to court or arbitration, it's nice to have
had ICANN Board members on the record as to how policies are supposed
to proceed....

By the way, where's the Independent Review Panel, which was formally
requested on September 9, 2002?

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/brannon-letter-to-lynn-09sep02.htm
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/brannon-letter-to-twomey-09apr03.htm

Sincerely,