[ga] "when will ICANN demand that NSOL upgrade its ancient software" ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Palmer" <jp@ADNS.NET>
> Now when will ICANN demand that NSOL upgrade its ancient software so that nameserver changes to
> .COM and .NET are near-instantaneous just like .INFO, .BIZ and such? Are they still running their
> stuff on mainframes or what?
====

John,

With all due respect, the plan is to **not** have ICANN or NSOL (Verisign) involved in the .COM or .NET upgrade.
If you recall, .NET is going to be moved to another company, just like .ORG. (Staffed by the same people of course)
The .COM "upgrade" then builds out from the existing (and working/limping) .COM "ancient software" (toy/legacy/etc.).
You do not likely want to have people unskilled in the new technology doing the "upgrade". They can run the old stuff.
The IPv16 build-out, will not be handled by amateurs.

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg21064.html
"US Defense Department formally adopts IPv6"

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info