From: Pappas <twix@mail.utexas.edu>
To: domain-policy@lists.cc.utexas.edu
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:25:31 -0500
Subject: WHOIS info "merely cosmetic"?
As I was finally transferring the last of my domain names away from
registrar Network Solutions this week, I had the occasion to call
their tech support because they had arbitrarily and without my
permission replaced some of my current whois contact info with
out-of-date info (phone number and email address) that they had
apparently dredged up from my past whois records.

Their representative on the phone--who, by the way, was exceedingly
polite--told me not to worry too much about that because the
published whois info is "merely cosmetic" now.

This, only one month after I received a somewhat threatening email
from Network Solutions which stated that, "ICANN requires domain name
registration customers to keep their account information current.
ICANN mandates that outdated contact information can be grounds for
domain name cancellation."

Hopefully the Montreal meetings will be productive.

--Matthew Pappas

----- End forwarded message -----