Re: [ga] 4th Circuit Court of Appeals Reverses Barcelona.com Decision

On 16:13 03/06/03, John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D. said:
>Judge Wilkinson then made a very sharp comment to the effect of "Simply
>because you have a global
>computer network does not change US law."

Seems we are here in a double misreading of the case due to the case being
in the USA and using US language.

1. Judge Wikinson does not know the US law. 47 USC 230 (f)(1) defines the
Internet as global (US meaning): the US law is not to be changed, it is to
be applied. While obviously ignoring it, he applied it, showing this way
that the US law is consistent.

2. the response of the Barcelonna defendant should have been to say that
this is because internet is a global network (non-US meaning) that the US
law cannot be applied to the whole of it, but only to the US part of it.
While obbsiously ignoring the very nature of the network and of the real
world, he did not failed in defending the Internet users interests. The
decision is on barcelona.com not on barcelona.sp.

This whole case is much noise for nothing because the case did not rise the
true questions:

- what is the jurisdiction extensin of the US law?
- what is the legal nature of a domain name?
- what are the legal obligations of a a registry?
- what are the legal obligations of ICANN towards the public when granting
a TLD Management?
- what are the legal obligations (US law) of a Registry towards a TLD Manager?

These questions are extremely important to ICANN and they probably are
going to be settled through the scSLD and the IDNs cases what leaves quite
no control to ICANN.
Interesting
jfc