Re: [ga] Re: [More misinformation from Verisign re: WLS]

Excellent, focussed mail! Thank you Don.

"If the community wants democracy and a voice in Internet governance, then
the community will need to create it..."

Precisely... so... let's set about creating it... a starting point is the
creation of a focus/umbrella for an alliance of sympathetic groups and
individuals, from across various constituencies.

There are many organisations (and many other countries) who would at least
be prepared to engage in a dialogue and build up a forum... a forum and
alliance which would, in the end, attract media attention as an alternative
way of doing things... in the face of ICANN's self-interest, autocracy, and
opaque undemocratic governance.

Many streams flow down from the mountainsides... when they converge, they
form a river.

What is needed is an alliance and an intelligent critique, carried out
across a number of fronts. The alliance may draw in the comments of various
ccTLDs; the alternate root; the at large movement (I mean the real one, not
the ALAC invention); as well as parties which fear refute top-down
globalisation of DNS resources.

People don't all have to agree on every point... they need to converge.

Richard Henderson