Re: [ga] A story about Whois and privacy

As Leah and I have pointed out (separately) several times on this list, the
public disclosure of personal details in the WHOIS can endanger life and
intimidate people.

Anyone who has, for example, been seriously stalked will know the fear and
heart-wrenching pressure you can be exposed to, and I think it is wholly
unacceptable to have any policy which insists on publication of personal
details.

As a result of a determined female stalker with a psychiatric history and
obsessive personality, my family and I moved home and have had an
ex-directory telephone number for 9 years. The one chink in this armour is
the existence of our details on WHOIS files, which leaves me feeling exposed
(though I have formed a judgement that the person in question is unlikely to
be computer literate).

Other people may be less lucky.

I know there are some registrars who will mask your details for you, and I
think that is absolutely necessary. I believe that WHOIS details (perhaps
apart from e-mail address) should be kept private, retained only on a secure
list, where people can obtain the details only on the basis of a court
order. If people wish to disclose their personal details on the WHOIS files,
fine. But what is not acceptable is that people's right to privacy (and
right to safety) should be jeopardised.

If someone abuses their domain name rights (eg by perpetrating fraud or
misrepresentation to the financial harm of others) of course the injured
parties should have legal recourse and police should be allowed legal access
to details if a judge agrees.

But most domain name registrants are just going about their daily lives
legally and decently. Their details should not be published on the WHOIS
files unless they want them to be.

Sincerely,

Richard Henderson