Re: [ga] Re: Even Handed Application of The Rules (Yes or No? - Weshall see) (was Re: [ga] Posting rights of Jeff Williams susp

On 16 May 2003 at 7:00, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> >However, as I said, I see no reason for GA list censorship.  I opposed it
> >when Herald A. imposed it on the GA list.  On the other hand, I have no
> >objection to people exercising their right not to listen either through
> >the use of filters of through liberal use of the 'd' key.
>
> In a perfect world, that would be the perfect solution.
> May I remind that one of the reasons for introducing formal rules was the
> fact that newcomers, flooded by emails off-topic or not in line with civil
> behaviour, often unsubscribe rather than setting filters.
>
> Regards
> Roberto

Roberto,

That is a choice that everyone has to make.  I don't know of any list that is so pure as to not
have off-topic posts or personally objectionable posts.  Unsubscribing because one does not
chooose to use filters, which every mail client has available, is childish.  It results only in
silencing one's own voice rather than those who are subscribed and have posting privileges.
It's a rather self-defeating move, wouldn't you say?

Having freedom of speech can be uncomfortable for some people - those who may be the
targets of that speech, such as the defendants of unpopular policies.  If we silence those who
speak out, we kill those freedoms.

The only instances where I would agree that there should be deletions would be spam and I
have not seen much of that on the ga list.

Regards,

Leah