Re: [Re: [ga] GoDaddy:

Michael,

I think Richard was pretty much "right on" actually.  If there were no patent, ICANN would
promote the monoply, embrace the corporate special interests and still not allow a reasonable
voice for the users and registrants in any significant sense.  It totally ignored the consensus
regarding WLS.

Yes, US and other laws may effect what ICANN could impose.  However, given what ICANN
has done to date, there is little question that the majority of stakeholders are either ignored or
supressed and that they will never have a meaningful "seat at the table."

Whether the US government in its enactment of laws that allow monopoly via patent is right or
wrong or whether it is successful is not the issue where ICANN is concerned.  The issue with
ICANN is that it would do the same thing and has done so under the guise of contracts and with
policy that attempts to supercede law (UDRP).  This is true regardless of arguments made that
ICANN does not attempt to create supra-legal authority.  The effect is there.  At the same time,
it does not enforce those contracts when it would assist the user or domain name registrant.

The net result is totally unfriendly to any but the corporate and IP entities who wish to rule the
DNS and commerce.

Leah