Re: [ga] Announce list for 76,000+ At-Large members

On Thu, 1 May 2003 23:54:33 EDT, you wrote:

>Vittorio,
>
>At-Large members were originally told that they would automatically be
>subscribed to the At-Large announce list upon their membership activation:
>
>"The applicant will be automatically subscribed to the At Large email
>announcement list when his/her membership is activated."
>http://members.icann.org/rules.html
>
>"over 76,000 applicants activated their memberships prior to the September 8
>deadline."
>http://www.icann.org/committees/at-large/at-large.htm
>
>Will the ALAC be sending announcements to this list of 76,000+ names?

Danny,

whether to send out announcements and how to build an announcement
list has not been finally considered yet by the Committee, but Denise
already pointed out on this list that those 76'000 persons were
contacted by the ALSC asking whether they would like to receive
further announcements, and about 5'000 of them signed on. So I guess
that we'll send our announcements to these 5'000 people if we decide
to send out any. I don't think we'll try to contact the other 71'000,
first of all because they didn't opt in to further announcements and
so I think that we are not authorized to contact them again(*), and
also because a 3-year-old list of e-mail addresses is not going to be
very useful. But of course comments and opinions on this are welcome.

(*) Actually, it might be illegal under many national privacy
regulations.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---