Re: [ga] FW: reminder for Nominations

At 11:43 a.m. 2/05/2003, Joanna Lane wrote:
>It now seems that individual At Large users are struggling to reach
>participation levels in double figures. If this is what ICANN can produce
>over 3 years of effort, from a base number of 70,000+ grass roots
>supporters, a budget of $millions, and an unequivocal remit to foster user
>participation....well...I'd say the evidence points to a resounding failure
>....anybody care to dispute that?

Joanna,

1. ICANN is not "producing" this  effort to organize the signed-up
icannatlarge (.com .org) members.  If fact ICANN has nothing to do with us
and is spending its money on Denise Michel organizing its own "ALAC"  (as a
substitute?)
You are barking up the wrong tree.

2.You are taking participation figures in the middle of a Nomination
exercise, not at the close.   Walsh used to do that too...

3. Nomination of candidates, when candidates are not well known, is not
something every member wants to do. You could also have said that only 2
people have sent Nominations to the atlarge-discuss mailing list!  But if
the lists of nominees by those 2 are long, few people may want to add to them.

4. People who keep on shouting "failure" prematurely and in the wrong
direction  are helping to sabotage the effort to organize independently.

5. Did *you* make any nominations already? You can do so in the public
Forum http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

Or do you no longer want to be listed as icannatlarge member because the
'icann" string is still there and in spite of your effort as Panel Chair,
you were unable to excise it?

-joop-