Re: [ga] "ICANN is still the only entity which can create gTLDs of any kind..." ?

Jim and all former DNSO GA members,

  Vittorio is well known for his exclamatory and frequently
less than accurate statements in this specific
area amongst others..

I guess it is akin to Mousilinni's saying he made the trains run
on time...

Jim Fleming wrote:

> http://forum.icann.org/mail-archive/alac/msg00228.html
> From: Vittorio Bertola
> "ICANN is still the only entity which can create gTLDs of any kind..
> ===
>
> TLDs (or gTLDs) are not created, they already exist. Many are not used.
>
> ICANN was created by the U.S. Government, during the Clinton Administration.
> With respect to TLDs, the agreement was that a handful of Proof-of-Concept TLDs
> would be added to the legacy root servers to prove that there was demand and that
> the DNS would not crash. At the time, only a small number of TLDs were considered
> to be ready for the Proof-of-Concept. .BIZ, .WEB, .NEWS, .XXX, .INC, and .SHOP
> were expected to be approved in a matter of weeks. It took **years** for the I* society to
> rework the deals and to let others move to the head of the line. During those years, delays
> were introduced with the addition of the artificial Registrar "accreditation" process. Prior
> to Registrars, webmasters, ISPs, lawyers, etc. accessed the Registry directly, with no need
> for accreditation. In parallel with the ICANN accreditation approach, other companies have
> added TLDs to the marketplace in parallel. People are beginning to see that they would rather
> have a domain name they prefer, that is reachable by 185,000,000+ users, rather than a domain
> name everyone can reach but no one desires or can easily remember.
>
> The Proof-of-Concept expansion of the namespace continues. ICANN is no longer needed.
>
> http://new.chat.new.net/viewtopic.php?t=118
> DAY 9 (Thursday 05/01/03)
> .INC
>
> DAY 10 (Monday 05/05/03)
> .SHOP
> =============================
>
> Once the 32-bit DNS is used to do the market tests (Proof-of-Concept) and to attract users who
> desire names, the 128-bit DNS services can be started to build on those existing customer bases.
> TLDs that are not popular will fade from the scene. They still exist, they are just not used. Eventually,
> a working set of 2,048 Premium TLDs will emerge, based on selections (votes) in the free marketplace.
> Those TLD managers can then divide up all of the management of the address spaces to increase their
> revenues, to help make sure that TLDs are supported and funded.
>
> ICANN and the RIRs are then simply the managers of the 0:0 .ARPA TLD and IN-ADDR.ARPA.
> There can be 2,047 other competitors. The I* society does not want any competition. The world is
> ignoring that and routing around the I* society.
>
> Jim Fleming
> http://www.IPv8.info

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801