RE: The telephone network and the internet (RE: [ga] ALAC comment s on proposed Bylaws modifications)

At 13:30 13/03/03, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>IMHO, we are focusing too much on details that could have less relevance,
>and failing to discuss the innovative approach that some, including Karl
>Auerbach, are proposing: not to have one single monolythic gigantic
>all-covering structure, but to assign individual responsibilities to
>individual organizations, either existing or built for the purpose. In
>other words, instead of one solution for all, tailored solutions for
>specific problems.

Full agreement. But you know that this does not come easily. People tend to
go by fashions and passions. To work out an I Sector organization
proposition, to understand where ICANN fits, what is the IANA today in real
life operation/governance, with DNS.2, what the ITU-I may bring to the Gov,
to the world development, what are the dangers, what are the natural
balance of powers and of protections, what are the relations with the other
Sectors and development, etc. is what we have to work on. Because no one
else will do it for us.

Or when a governance reorganization occurs - because it will necessary
occur and it has already started and we helped it starting - we will have
no reason complaining.
jfc