[ga] WG-ITU-I

Dear all,
I suggest that time has come - after the ERC, the ITU-T proposition, the
cyberspace US policy disclosure, the Marrakech meeting, the Geneva ccTLD
meeting, the WSIS, the "national digital sovereignty affirmation" drift vs
the "States digital sovereignty respect", Richard Hill's contributions,
etc. - to start working on the future of the relations of the internet
governance with the ITU.

There are many matters to consider as it will most probably lead us to
redefine who we are because we will not only refer to the ICANN part of the
governance as we do for 5 years, but also, starting with ITU, to other
bodies such as IAB/IETF, W3C, ISOC, MINC, WIPO, WTO, UNESCO, NatAids,
Edifact, States, consumer organizations, etc. as ICANN did though the ERC
effort.

I suggest that to carry that work we create an open cross constituency
dedicated interest group. The mission of that group would be to define and
structure a general proposition within the WSIS framework for an I Sector
(Internet) in the ITU. Its members, its possible organization, its various
economical model, its role, its organization rules, its testing tools, its
relations with the R and T sectors and with ICANN, its consumer
representation, its internal mutual private/social interests protection
mechanisms, its representation of the civil society as proposed by the UN
General Secretary and partly implemented through the WSIS preparatory work,
its multilingual support, its standardization process, its societal best
practices, its fight against the digital divide, its modelization of the
e-network society, its support to innovation, its management of the
technical operations and evolution of the network (IANA, IPv6, parallel
roots, concerted TLD creation, ENUM), etc.

jfc
france@large

---