Re: [ga] Privacy Brainstorming

Michael and all Former DNSO GA members,

  I would read Marilyn's comments as formulating a policy
a la AT&T.  However as I have yet to see Marilyn participating
on the IETF ENUM working group yet, which I currently do,
I am finding it difficult to take much of her comments below
with any real seriousness.

  In any event. DNSEC is "Recommended" for ENUM to address
in part the privacy/security concerns.  However as the IETF DNSSEC
WG has yet to complete it's work and have seemingly been stalling
in doing so, early implementations for ENUM and VOIP will
have huge privacy problems very much similar to IPv6.

  So I am several others on the ENUM WG have expressed a
serious concern regarding Privacy/security regarding ENUM.
One can check the archives of the ENUM WG ML to
gather those that are concerned for themselves should they
so choose,and I would recommend doing so before Rio.

  Hence in conclusion I read Marilyn's comments as an attempt
to set a tone and at the same time interject privacy concerns
as it is well known that AT&T is wanting to use customer
data for purposes that the customer's privacy would be
infringed upon, and without their expressed written
permission, or via a contractual requirement that every
potential customer must sign to receive service of this nature
from AT&T.  However I do not wish to single AT&T out here,
as I am aware from contacts in DC that Worldcom, amongst
other Telco's are seeking to do the same thing...

  None the less it is obvious that ENUM is directly impacting
on DNS and therefore Whois as well.  Ergo, the poor and
ill advised "Recommendations" that were not broadly supported
from the Whois Task force regarding Privacy/Security concerns
is stark and documented evidence as to the direction an likely
position that AT&T is taking...  This to me shows clearly
that either Marilyn in her comments is mistaken/wrong in the
relationship of ENUM to the DNS or is trying to be slick.

Michael D. Palage wrote:

> So Marilyn you can confirm that this is AT&T official position?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801