RE: [ga] Privacy Brainstorming

> I am a little confused at your verbal jab at the FTC.

Mike - there was no "jab" at the FTC - simply a recognition that if
there was a "public/private sector partnership" as you called it, I
don't feel like I am part of it and I doubt that there are many other
private interests that do.

To recap here's what has been asked of us as part of this "partnership"
thus far;

2000 FBI/DOJ Meeting: Better access to whois would make things easier
for us.
FTC Meeting Last Fall: We need unfettered access to your whois database
for a bunch of reasons that we can't specifically tell you about - and
PS, the data that is in there is pretty inaccurate.
FTC Meeting Last Week: We still need  unfettered access to your whois
database.

Not much more than lip-service to the P word.

Second, I reiterate that the world is much larger world beyond the EU
and America. Our solutions need to recognize this. Rather than dealing
with the substance of this claim, you've noted that there are a lot of
Europeans and Americans working to solve problems without involving me
but that somehow ENUM is going to make it a lot worse unless we elect
Henning. Not sure that I get the logic.

Lastly, I've never said that data privacy was absolute - just that it
was primary. Big difference. You're proposal assumes that there is arich
dataset that needs to be carved up and handed to law enforcement, IP
attorneys and a slew of others. I propose that we examine the attributes
of that dataset first, in a local context, and then worry about
providing mechanisms for accessing it to appropriate parties in
appropriate circumstances.

Handing the keys to government and telco interests doesn't seem to make
a lot of sense in this context.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/