Re: [ga] WHOIS TF: Brainstorming session on privacy.

Todd,
I would not personally wish to see your family put at risk because of your
private information such as your home address or unlisted telephone number
being published world wide, but perhaps if were to happen to you, you
would
understand the need for privacy.  This is especially true of women with
children operating a SOHO.  It has less to do with spamming, although this
has been a serious issue with data mining.  Until it hits you on a
personal
level, there is little understanding of the problem. It's much the same as
those who have never had serious illness such as AIDS or cancer close to
them.  You cannot really know the problem until it's in your backyard.
When it does hit you, it's devastating.

Having a public address does not mean that you must post that address for
the world.  Even the telcos don't publish your address if you request it
be unpublished.  If you call the post office or telco, they will not
release the information to the public, as it is private.  Having a phone
number does not make it public.  Your drivers license and social security
number is not published by those agencies for public view and people are
told to guard their social security numbers.  I value my safety and
privacy
and have paid enough of a price in having my personal information
published.

When your life is threatened by some nut who relishes stalking and
harrassment, get back to us and let us know if you still believe anyone
should be able to get to your family just because you have a "public"
domain on the internet.  The idea is to have the information you wish to
be
public on the internet and the rest is to be held privately.  For those
who
have a legitimate need to "find you" there are legal mechanisms in place.
Having a small SOHO and advertising services should not EVER place anyone
at risk.  It looks totally unprofessional to have such a business homed
under a /~username address.  Having a third level domain under some ISP's
domain is equally unprofessional.  Penalizing individuals is wrong, wrong,
wrong, and was not the intention of the WHOIS.  The world has changed and
the internet certainly has.  The WHOIS has been abused and used for things
for which it was never intended.  Your position makes it even more prone
that abuse.

The next time I have some nut call me or show up at my door at 3am because
of the whois, I'll think of you.  It's not likely to happen at this point
because I have a post office box now, but I do get some really distrubing
mail every now and then and can tell it was due to the whois because of
the
information on the mail.  I report those disturbing mail pieces to the
USPS
inspector general, of course.  At least they take it seriously.

Your position puts many people's lives at risk, Todd.  I realize you don't
think it's an issue, but I can tell you it is.  Please don't take it
lightly.

Leah