Re: [ga] WHOIS data on .org domains

Joe and all former DNSO GA members,

  Joe is essentially correct here.  However I had to go to
http://www.register.com/whois_lookup.cgi?cmp=IL9117
to get the listing for Danny's Domain Name DNSPOLICY.ORG
http://whois.register.com did not resolve for me...

  However Joe should yet again be commended for his
assistance and helpfulness in his comments and data
provided ( See below ).  Well done Joe!  And thank you!
Unfortunately the folks at Register.com or PIR do not seem
to be quite as helpful or considerate for their registrants/stakeholders...
Perhaps the ICANN staff or the ISOC staff could prevail upon
PIR/AFILIAS to do a better job of handling their responsibilities?

  It seems obvious that each registrar or registry will determine
with whom they are going to share their registrants data with
and what specific output from a Whois query will be provided
or otherwise given on specific queries.

  I also was able to use my browser based Whois tool to
do a look-up on Danny's domain Name of DNSPOLICY.ORG
without any problem after I modified it to point to
http://www.register.com/whois_lookup.cgi  .

  So it does seem obvious that PIR has created another level
of inconsistency in WHois for reason or reasons unknown.

Joe Baptista wrote:

> This has been going on for weeks.  It's part of the ICANN stability
> package of goodies they managed to sell ya all.
>
> The problem seems to be with PIR.  To get your registry details just
> lookup the whois server in the ourput - you'll see it next to the
> Registrants Street1 address - of course - where else would one be expected
> to find it.
>
> use that or the refferal url to verify your domain information.  here it
> is incidentally provided by whois.register.com

>       Danny Younger
>       2311 60th Street
>       Brooklyn, NY 11204
>       US
>       Phone: 718-376-5505
>       Email: dannyyounger@cs.com
>
>    Registrar Name....: Register.com
>    Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
>    Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com
>
>    Domain Name: DNSPOLICY.ORG
>
>       Created on..............: Thu, Jul 04, 2002
>       Expires on..............: Fri, Jul 04, 2003
>       Record last updated on..: Mon, Nov 11, 2002
>
>    Administrative Contact:
>       registrants constituency
>       Danny Younger
>       2311 60th Street
>       Brooklyn, NY 11204
>       US
>       Phone: 718-376-5505
>       Email: dannyyounger@cs.com
>
>    Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
>       Register.Com
>       Domain Registrar
>       575 8th Avenue - 11th Floor
>       New York, NY 10018
>       US
>       Phone: 902-749-2701
>       Fax..: 902-749-5429
>       Email: domain-registrar@register.com
>
>    Domain servers in listed order:
>
>    DNS3.REGISTER.COM                                 216.21.234.72
>    DNS4.REGISTER.COM                                 216.21.226.72
>
> so you can see danny you still exist.
>
> regards
> joe baptista
>
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>
> > I just looked up the details on one of my domains, and instead of the
> > "accurate" WHOIS details that I had previously provided, PIR is returning the
> > following data... The same type of erroneous data is being provided for
> > ICANN.org as well.  My WHOIS query was initiated via the networksolutions.com
> > website.  What's going on?
> >
> > Domain ID:D88115474-LROR
> > Domain Name:DNSPOLICY.ORG
> > Created On:04-Jul-2002 04:11:45 UTC
> > Last Updated On:04-Jul-2002 04:11:45 UTC
> > Expiration Date:04-Jul-2003 04:17:15 UTC
> > Sponsoring Registrar:R71-LROR
> > Status:OK
> > Registrant ID:71-C
> > Registrant Name:CONTACT NOT AUTHORITATIVE
> > Registrant Street1:Whois Server:whois.register.com
> > Registrant Street2:Referral URL:www.register.com
> > Registrant City:N/A
> > Registrant Postal Code:N/A
> > Registrant Country:CA
> > Registrant Email:not@available.org
> > Admin ID:71-C
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801