[ga] the gTLD selection process

Bruce,

Having listened to the recent Names Council session, I have to wonder whether
the Council is being diverted from more important considerations:

1.  At some point in the immediate future ICANN will be putting forth
requests for proposals for sponsored TLDs.  While I applaud any effort that
furthers the goal of expanding the utility of the namespace, I remain
concerned that (as the DoC has previously stated), "ICANN has not yet defined
the processes, procedures, and standards for ensuring predictability and
transparency in the gTLD selection process long-term (including the timeframe
within which new gTLDs would be made available)."

2.  I understand that taxonomic considerations are part of the overall
debate, and that the Council is responding to the Board's request "to provide
a recommendation... on whether to structure the evolution of the generic top
level namespace and, if so, how to do so", however, if the Council fails to
also act to provide policy guidance on these other matters attendant to the
gTLD selection process then we will soon find ourselves in the quagmire of
charges and countercharges with respect to the fairness of the overall
process as the upcoming new TLD selections are pulled out of the basket.

3.  As specified in the DoC Statement that accompanied the extension of the
MOU, "ICANN needs to proceed with adopting a standardized mechanism for
implementing new gTLDs that includes a public articulation of the process,
selection criteria, and the rationale for selection decisions (ICANN Task
8)."  I would ask:  what is the Council doing to ensure that policy guidance
is being provided to the Board on such matters?

4.  We are also told in the DoC Statement that "In developing this mechanism
and implementing new TLDs, ICANN has agreed to consider recommendations from
expert advisory panels, bodies, agencies, or organizations regarding relevant
economic, competition, trademark, and intellectual property issues." Can you
comment on what steps the Council is taking to ensure that such expert
commentary will be forthcoming and therafter utilized in your deliberations?

Best regards,
Danny