Re: [ga] Fascinating bust up on the Registrars Mailing List

On 2 Feb 2003 at 16:28, Richard Henderson wrote:

> I believe that there are many voices
> > (indeed the vast majority) that are quelled because they don't
> > want to be bullied by the vocal minority.

I think you have it slightly backwards.  The vast majority of stakeholders
are the consumers who are disenfranchised by the sytem.  What you call the
vocal minority is actually quite representative of the typical consumer,
who, if properly educated, would be just as vocal as those who have been
so vocal on this and other lists.  And therein lies the problem.  The vast
majority of stakeholders are unaware of the situation until it hits them
squarely in the face.  Then they become involved.  Once involved, they
come to realize that they are attacked by the powerful minority and give
up with the "you can't fight city hall" syndrome.

Now that the system has completely disenfranchised the public, it can only
get worse until people realize they can route around the damage.  That day
is approaching more quickly.

As the Chinese say "we live in interesting times."

Leah