[ga] Proposal for ICANN meeting in UK in 2004

Title: Help
I would like to suggest a venue for the 2004 European Meeting of ICANN.

I believe it might be possible to host and accommodate the whole meeting at Ashridge House, an idyllic countryside retreat in thousands of acres of its own grounds, in England, UK.

Ashridge House is one of Britain's most prestigious business and management colleges, with over 70 years experience of hosting major meetings. It has acted as host to world leaders, and is within easy reach of two UK airports, with railway links nearby, just 30 miles outside London. There is a good golf course. There is miles of wooded countryside.

Ashridge House was originally a royal monastery in the 13th Century, was lived in by Elizabeth I who owned it in the 16th Century, and was latterly a "think tank" for the development of political thought, until it became a business and management college.

I have a personal link with Ashridge House. My grandfather received an OBE for his work at Ashridge, developing it into a modern host for meetings on all aspects of business and government.

The superb gardens, privacy and ancient buildings would provide a spectacular setting for your guests. In return, Ashridge would benefit from your high profile meeting on Internet Governance.

The advantages of this location over a hotel complex cannot be over-stated.

Ashridge hosts regular conferences and has excellent facilities.

It is the most British of locations. It is class.

Let me know, if you would be prepared to let me investigate this further with you in the coming fortnight.

I live 4 miles walk from Ashridge, and I'd be happy to act as liaison.

With kind regards

Richard Henderson
(Icann At Large panelist)