[ga] Round-robin process... a Registry leader joins the debate

Title: Help
Last week I posted my arguments for equal *minimum* queue lengths for all registrars in round-robin processes at landrush.

Each registrar would submit a minimum of 5000 applications. If a registrar did not fill up those application spaces with customers orders, then the remaining unused applications up to five thousand would simply be "Blank Applications". My argument for this was that it would prevent registrars hijacking the process with very short lists for a few friends/clients.

For example, we saw in .biz2B some incredibly short queues from certain registrars, designed to "game" the system - against the public interest - for the benefit of the registrar themselves or a favoured client.

For example: Signature Domains effectively "queue-jumped" their rivals by applying with a tiny list - they got just 9 registrations for Joshua Blacker, a Signature partner, but what outstanding domains they were. They registered NO other domains for any other customer. They had simply used their registrar privilege to help themselves.

Other registrars operated similar lists.

After .biz2B, ICANN and Afilias were both warned that the same use of short queues by registrars would occur again in the .info LR2. Afilias refused to do anything about this, and ICANN - approached through Dan Halloran - would not even enter into dialogue over the problem.

Sure enough, LR2 saw the same "gaming" of the system. For example, Moshe Fogel operates two registrars. Through ONE of these registrars he submitted a normal list for most of his ordinary customers. Through his second company, he submitted a short list for himself and a few favoured clients. As a result, his applications effectively queue-jumped most of his rivals, and Moshe himself obtained www.domains.info

In a private response to my GA-list post, the leading figure of one of the NewTLD registries challenged my argument. I am not disclosing which registry it was, but you can read his e-mail below, and my own response to him below that.

I personally think that the Registries should come out into the open and engage in dialogue on lists like this one. In the stone-cold silence from Dan Halloran, and the refusal of ICANN to answer serious concerns, I believe issues such as registrar exploitation of process HAS to be discussed, and discussed openly. We are talking about the unfair distribution of the DNS and letting down consumers. There are questions which need answering, and answering in public.

Richard Henderson

(The Registry "private response" below...)