From: "Ray Fassett" <ray@fassett.org>
To: <ga@dnso.org>
Cc: <staceyw@mvps.org>; <gkirikos@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [ga] Planning for 2007 -- ICANN negotiations over .com wholesale pricing

"People like IBM and EDS may even operate it at a loss for the "talking
points" factor or industry recognition - which ultimately can turn into
profit for them."

I am not looking to flame suggestions but the registry space is for-
profit.  If the community wants to revert the regsitry role back to that of
non-profit, that's one thing.  It's a decision.   But to masquerade as a
non-profit space for whatever reasons of "goodwill" is to me part of the
problem we have today.  Competition is the crosscheck for the market place
in a for-profit arena.  This has been artificially stunted, not given its
proper chance.  Supporting costs of operations from profits derived by way
of market share from sources totally unrelated is an unstable approach at
best.  Sooner or later Peter wants his money regardless of how many zero's
are on the top line.  This is not the way to properly "subsidize" the space
if indeed it is determined it should be subsidized again.  If the registry
role should be subsidized again, then the reasons for this needs to be
articulated.

Ray