Thanks Jim.  Loud and clear.  I now understand that it's CIDR or
"supernetting" these days.  FYI, I have been doing some homework on this
topic and I just read an excellent paper on the "Development of the
Regional Internet Registry System" in the Internet Protocol Journal:
 http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/759/ipj_4-4/ipj_4-4_regional.html
I think it should be required reading for all participants/spectators in
and around the ICANN.  Concise and punctillious.

The following excerpts caught my attention:
------------------
"Internationalization
While the engineering-driven need for topological address space
assignment was becoming clear, there was also an emerging recognition
that the administrative mechanisms of address space distribution needed
further development. A central system just would not scale for numerous
reasons, including:

Sheer volume
Distance from the address space consumers
Lack of an appropriate global funding structure
Lack of local community support

The need to change administrative procedures was formally recognized by
August 1990, when the Internet Activities Board published a message it
had sent to the U.S. Federal Networking Council, stating "it is timely
to consider further delegation of assignment and registration authority
on an international basis" (RFC 1174 -drafted by Vinton G. Cerf :
http://www.armware.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc1174.html)."
<snip- and then a little further on>
"Following the examples of RIPE NCC and APNIC, it was recommended that
management of IP address space then administered by the InterNIC should
be under the control of, and administered by, those that use it,
including ISPs, end-user organizations, corporate entities,
universities, and individuals."
Now that ICANN at-large membership is now no longer an option... those
of us in North and South America can always become "individual" members
of ARIN for a mere $500 annual membership fee (sans IP allocations, of
course) see: http://www.arin.net/membership/index.html

Enough reading for one night.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos