[ga] INEGRoup Whois Consensus position - Privacy concerns paramount

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] INEGRoup Whois Consensus position - Privacy concerns paramount
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:26:47 -0800
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

All former DNSO GA members,

  The following was sent to the Whois Task Foce public forum howver
that forum is again no longer updating or excpeting input  <sigh>

================================

Whois Task force members,

  In the current Whois Task force report little or no consideration
regarding privacy and security is being considered.  As such our members
have requested of me their spokesman to convey our very serious concerns
as to privacy and the security of that privacy in WHois data listings
upon searches as our members single biggest concern.

  I have also taken notice that a number of other active participants
from various areas of endeavor in the DNS arena have also expressed
these concerns as well.
Of note are the following:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-whois/Arc02/msg00027.html

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-whois/Arc02/msg00025.html

Which is from Karl Auerbach ICANN member of the BoD

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-whois/Arc02/msg00023.html

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-whois/Arc02/msg00022.html

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-whois/Arc01/msg00012.html

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-whois/Arc00/msg00006.html

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-whois/Arc02/msg00012.html

  The second most concerning part of the report that was not adequately
addressed or even available for public debate and thereby redress online

is the idea of  15 day contact expirey period for filing complaints to
the registrant for that registrant to respond or face loosing his/her
Domain name. We found that after and exhaustive and extensive review and
research effort that very few legal jurisdictions would be able to
uphold such as requirement and would egregiously harm a number of
registrants for various reasons to include but not be limited to:
- Vacations of the Registrant that exceed 15 days - Illness of a
registrant that would exceed 15 days and that registrant
be physically unable to reply or even be aware of such a communication

  In conclusion and in short the Whois Task force has not adequately
even begun to address substantial issues in a public or reasonable
fashion that could by in large meet the needs and potential as well as
real and already extant impacts upon the vast majority of registrants.

  Therefore we recommend that a open Working Group E-Mail forum
be constituted so as such issues can be discussed.

  That each registry be able to provide for the time being an Opt-out
for personal and private information of the registrant ( Personal
physical or mailing address, personal Phone Number, and personal
E-Mail address )

or that only law enforcement have access to this data in Whois and than
only via a court order that the registrant in aware in advance of that
court order being executed.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801