Re: [ga] whois: issues with uniformity

On 2002-12-23 10:02:17 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>>   take non-ASCII content. Possibly desires for alternative
>>   values in different scripts (think about countries where two
>>   kinds of scripts are in use; think "western names" in China)?

> There is no discussion about that: Unicode must be used. There is
> no other way to handle the whole world (think that the future
> ".eu" registry, for instance, will need at least Latin-1, Greek
> and soon Latin-2).

That doesn't solve the problem: There may be an ascii-friendly /and/
a "native" name for something -- like what you have, say, with many
Hotels and streets in Shanghai.  Of course, there is the "Hotel
Intercontinental" in "777 Zhangyang Road, Pudong, Shanghai". But
then, there's also that series of Chinese characters which I can't
even type on my keyboard.

For an internationally useful WHOIS service, you'd most likely like
to be able to accomodate /both/ versions in the database.

This isn't about Unicode-enabling a database: This is about the
human brain in general /not/ being Unicode-enabled, and about
accomodating existing real-life band-aids for that.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.net/