RE: [ga] NewZealand.com WIPO decision

On 19 Dec 2002 at 17:40, Rodrigo  Orenday Serrato wrote:

S@dnso.org>
Subject:        	RE: [ga] NewZealand.com WIPO decision
Date sent:      	Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:40:03 -0600

> Amazed again?. Professor, we'd been over this one before, remember?.

Have to say I am with Professor Froomkin on this one.
I am not aware of any principle which operates to give states the power of
preventing use (or even misuse) of their country name or confusing
variants.

If this were true, my law school frriend coudn't have opened, as he
succesfully did, a restaurant in Wellington known as the Mexican
Cantina...add to that other Wellington shops like Paris, Texas (no "other
characters capable of making  it sufficiently distinctive")
 multiply examples like that around the world, and you see how
impractical the suggestion would be, if it were true.

Regards
Peter Dengate Thrush