Re: [ga] FYI: Board, meetings, resolutions, bylaws

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Alexander Svensson wrote:

> the ICANN "Transition Board" now consists of the
> following 16 persons:

(I notice my name missing from your list)

One has to admire the utterly and unacceptably sloppy draftsmanship of the
definition of who is on the board now and who is not.

One can read that definition as saying that at this time I am off the
board, but that I can rejoin by sending a letter.  Or one can try to read
it as saying that I'm still on the board but that I lapse if I don't
respond by the indicated date.

How can ICANN measure a quorum when it can't even say who are the
directors and who are not?

I also really am amused by the amazing stretch of semantics that allows
certain directors who came into ICANN four years ago, for one year terms,
and who have never been voted into their directorships by anyone, to claim
the mantle of "at-large" and to once again extend their terms - this time
into the fifth year, a 500% overextension of the original time.  And this
was done in the name of "continuity"?  Didn't ICANN just "reform" itself
in order to break the links to its past failures?  Or are we simply
observing a facade, a facade made all the more clear by the grasping acts
of old faces with old ideas, a facade in which ICANN has simply painted
some cheap new words onto a very shabby old structure?

[For those of you who were wondering why I wasn't there - I had planned on
participating by telephone but we were clobbered here in Santa Cruz by a
major storm coming out of the Pacific and our fragile utility structure
here did what it usually does when the trees fall, the rivers rise, and
the hillsides slide - it collapses.  So I was without power or telephone
for the days surrounding and during the meeting.]

And for those of you wondering whether I will continue or not ... stay
tuned.

		--karl--