Re: Answering a question - Was Re: [ga] Stolen domains...

In a message dated 16/12/02 09:04:27 GMT Standard Time, karl@cavebear.com writes:

I personally find it extremely unfortunate that DNS has been used in this
way.  DNS is not a good tool for this kind of use.  We have self
mesmorized ourselves about DNS and have established mechanisms such as
ICANN that have ossified our thinking about what it is that we really want
out of Internet directory systems.  Notice I said systems, plural, not
system, singlar. We need directory systems for the Internet that help
people to do what they want and need to do rather than tying everything to
the Procrustian iron bed of DNS and its limitations.

> Would I be right in inferring from your general view both on this email
> list and recent account of your thoughts in the newspaper article that
> we now have:

> (i) dissonance between theory and practice (ie ad hoc jurisprudence or
> in your words "amateur" rulings)

The UDRP was established by the intellectual property industry, for the
intellectual property industry, and exclusively for the benefit of the
intellectual property industry.  The UDRP was defined in isolation, and
indeed with disdain for, the interests of the public.  And the system that
applies the UDRP is worse, far worse.

Karl -----many thanks for this. I trust colleagues are aware of the following [which some may not have heard]: It is perhaps timely given Karl's concerns...
=================
FYI
* ITU ccTLD Workshop
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is pleased to announce that the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) will organize, on March 3 and 4, 2003 a Workshop on Member States' Experiences with ccTLDs at the ITU Headquarters in Geneva.

A session of this Workshop will be specifically devoted to intellectual property protection in the Domain Name System and WIPO's role in this area. Further information concerning WIPO's domain name program is available on WIPO's web site at http://ecommerce.wipo.int/domains/

The ITU meeting will be open to all interested parties and attendance is free of charge. Further information concerning the workshop and participation is available on ITU's web site at http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/cctld/
The ITU is a specialized agency of the United Nations which coordinates global telecom networks and services.

Yours sincerely,

Francis Gurry
Assistant Director General
World Intellectual Property Organization

Joseph Savirimuthu
The Liverpool Law School
University of Liverpool
Chatham Street