[ga] Re: Proposal to Icann since my car accident during Icann Shanghai.

Dear Khaled,

First, thank you for taking the time to summarize this very unfortunate event. I imagine it was painful to relive the experience.

Jonathan, it seems to me that Khaled's proposal or something along its lines is worth exploring with potential hosts for ICANN meetings.

Vint Cerf

At 10:14 PM 11/29/2002 -0500, Ibelimited1@aol.com wrote:
>Dear Vinton:
>
>As per your request, I am sending you and other Icann officers an account of the car/taxi accident I was involved in while attending the Icann Shanghai conference. More importantly I am presenting you and Icann with a proposal to avert what happened to me from happening to fellow Icann attendees and making future Icann conferences safer.
>
>It was a wet night, my Taxi was hit from the side at around 11pm and I was seriously banged up. When the police came about ten minutes later, they were only interested in assessing the damage to the cars.  I was conscious but somewhat dizzy. I called a friend who speaks Chinese to come and help me translate. I asked the police to provide me a doctor or call an ambulance immediately numerous times, even at times making the request official as a US citizen attending a conference hosted by the Chinese government. They ignored my requests. I was made to wait for 55 minutes in the rain until another police car came to take me to the hospital, while my head was pounding from pain and not knowing if I was bleeding internally,
>
>At the hospital I was given a CT scan to my head and an X-ray to my neck and was told by the attending doctor who did not know what Ibuprofen or an anti-inflammatory is that I was OK. Upon my return to the UK I was told by my doctor that I had suffered a concussion to the head.
>
>The service and care I received in the hospital in Shanghai was sickening and appalling. I am so fortunate not to have needed any treatment. I won't bore you with more detail but suffice it to say my life was jeopardized because they were no plans in place to deal with such emergencies. Also, the local hosts' authorities may have different standards of care to what we have the right to expect at a minimum. And bearing in mind that my presence and the presence of every Icann attendees gives the local host international recognition, I believe the least we can expect is that our safety is not compromised in case of an emergency.
>
>The proposal

> [...]

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology
WorldCom