Re: [ga] Listen-only ports

At 12:12 PM -0800 11/8/02, Bret Fausett wrote:
>Danny, the bylaw provision that you cited to begin this thread required the
>DNSO to enable electronic "attendance." That's not the same as
>"participation," which is why I view the mp3 recordings as a substantial
>equivalent to what the bylaws require.

I don't.

>If what you're really seeking is the
>ability to participate in NC meetings, then that requires a bylaw change
>(and the fact that you cannot now participate is not a bylaw violation).

"Attendance" is realtime. If one is due to "attend" a board meeting and an
observer, but misses the bus, turns up late and only gets to listen to a
recording of the meeting, that person would be marked as "not in
attendance" in the minutes.

"Attendance" is being there. "Participating" is being there and having your
voice heard.

We may not have the right to "participate", but we have the right to
"attend". Listening to MP3 after the event is not "attending" and is not
even an unsubstancial equivalent.

I remain,

--
Andrew P. Gardner
barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?