Re: [ga] who are the root server operators?

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:53:03AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer took time to write:
> * with DNSSEC (cryptographical signatures in the DNS replies) and IDN
>   (long labels), the DNS will have to move to TCP anyway,

Not true, necessarily. EDNS exists and permits larger UDP segments.

> * there is never a DNS query for the root name servers: they are
>   hardwired in the hints file (/etc/bind/db.root or something like

Not true at all.
The first things bind does is query root servers (one I believe) to
obtain the current list with current IP.
This is why the thing is called a ``hint'' zone.
Otherwise it would just be a master zone in bind's configuration.

>   that). Unlike the TLD name servers (which ICANN limit to 13 per
>   TLD), there is no good technical reason to limit the number of root
>   name servers.

This is starting to be caricatural.

Patrick Mevzek.