Re: [ga] Nuclear Threat from the ccTLDs

David and all assembly members,

  Humm?  I had heard of this potential before but never took
it seriously myself.  Some of our EU members do though...
Not all that bad of an idea really...  This could be a
method of stepping up to shared Root structures though
also...

DPF wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:05:35 +0100 (CET), Marc Schneiders
> <marc@fuchsia.bijt.net> wrote:
>
> >From the ccTLD communique from Sjanghai:
> >
> >"2.3     In view of the continuing failures by ICANN in conducting its
> >stewardship of the IANA function, particularly in relation to ccTLD
> >database updates, managers agreed to set up a Working Group to develop
> >a plan to set up a system of independent management of the DNS root
> >entries and database entries. It is expected this plan will be
> >developed in parallel with attempts to create an acceptable ccSO, and
> >to be available in the event that is unsuccessful."
> >
> >That would be the end of the ICANN root. The ccTLDs have never, I
> >think, been so clear before.
>
> It is certainly a sign that ICANN's tactics of using their
> guardianship of the IANA function to try and force contracts and new
> policies on ccTLDs has really peeved people off.  There are few thing
> more reprehensible that refusing to update the root zone when you know
> information is manifestly incorrect.
>
> What the above could imply (I am guessing as I was not there) is that
> if ICANN continues down the same path, then ccTLDs could apply to DOC
> to take over the IANA function.  ICANN could still remain as the gTLD
> policy body but the IANA function can be removed from them quite
> easily.
>
> DPF
> --
> E-mail: david@farrar.com
> ICQ:    29964527
> MSN:    dpf666@hotmail.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801