[ga] Re: Wholesale Price Regulation

Ray Fassett wrote:

>Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
>"In other words, the entry of competitors in the gTLD market has been
>artificially delayed until the .com has had a chance to build a very
>high "barreer to entry" to competitors, by virtue of its
>deployment."
>
>It sounds like you are suggesting that competition has not been
>accomplished at the top level...that a barrier to entry exists, mostly
>artificial in nature. Are you also saying that ICANN should continue to
>regulate by contract the wholesale price of .com as a protection to
>community members because it has yet to achieve gTLD competition?  Is this
>an example where the community needs ICANN to act as DNS regulatory body,
>outside of its technical mission, to the benefit of the majority of
>community members?

Interesting how much people can read in simple sentences.

You are absolutely right in interpreting my post as "suggesting that
competition has not been accomplished at the top level".
I have stated this in many circumstances, and I believe that ICANN has been
instrumental in delaying and/or opposing full competition.
I mentioned, in the post you answer to, delay in introduction of gTLDs. But
in other posts I have mentioned the very fact of the creation of ICANN as a
delaying factor for the process that was already underway well before the
USG papers of multiple colours, the Sclavos amendment as a factor of
reduction of competition at the gTLD level (as well as a change in policy
without proper process), and many others.

OTOH, all other deductions you made from my message are just extrapolations
of yours, and were not at all implied in my message.

Best regards
Roberto