Re: [ga] [fwd] [council] Legal Breifing Regarding Implementation of New or Changed Policies (from: touton@icann.org)

Dear Louis
Please would you ensure, when preparing statements like this to clearly
distinguish between cctlds and gtlds.

I assume that you never intended any of this to apply to cctlds - your focus
has been on gtld contracts.

But the risk remains that this sort of statement will be interpreted either
accidentally or maliciously as applicable to cctld registries and their
registrars.

A few glances at your text should make it clear:

1. cctld registries do not operate under a contractual right to operate
their registries, nor do they do so for an agreed period, and ICANN cannot
terminate the "designation" of a cctld registry operator.
2. ccTLD registrars are subject only to the contractual or other obligations
with their cctld registries, and have no legal relationship with ICANN at
all.

Thanks in anticipation.

regards

Peter Dengate Thrush