Re: [ga] Legal Briefing

Monday, October 21, 2002, 11:29:33 PM, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
JW> Don and all assembly members,

JW> Don Brown wrote:
>> Jeff,
>>
>> How can the Registrars be a monopoly, just because they all signed
>> (almost) the same contract with ICANN? That simply doesn't compute or
>> make any sense at all to me.

JW>   As oen that is in the registrar business with ICANN, I can see
JW> why you don't understand or don't wish to.  Hence of course
JW> it doesn't "Compute" to you, Don.   The RRP says it all.

Wrong.  We are not a Registrar and we certainly do No business with
ICANN.

>> There is no price fixing that I can see. In fact, as far as I can
>> tell, a consumer can buy a domain name registration for the sum of
>> about $8 to about $35 for one year, depending upon Registrar; maybe
>> lower/higher, too.

JW>   This is not the point at all.  The point is best put in a question
JW> format for simplicity.  Can a potential registrant register a DN
JW> from a registrar that is not an accredited registrar of ICANN
JW> for .com, .net, .org, ect., ect?  No they cannot.  Hence
JW> they are relegated to a monopolistic framework for registering
JW> a DN in those name spaces.

If that is problematic for you, then automobile dealers, furniture
dealers and similar groups must keep you up all night.  It is not
monopolistic to market through authorized or accredited dealers or
wholesalers - it is common, in fact.