Re: [ga] FYI: ITU press release on IDN resolution

At 10:14 14/10/02, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > Please note that the title of the ITU Press highlight has been corrected.
>
>There are still mistakes, for instance the mention of "multilingual
>domain names" while IDN is about multiSCRIPT domain names.

Dear Stephane,
I am afraid you read IETF too much. Govs in 102 talk about real world. What
they want is "real life" mnemonics (RLMs) to be transcripted into a DNS
accepted semantic and scripting.

Current IETF IDN group proposes a (partial) response using Unicode scripts
and a non workable (not RFC 1591 conforming, IP bugged) proposition. As you
know phonetic solutions will certainly be used. We have to cease seeing the
Internet as a unique US/IETF controlled system.

Internet is only an interoperation of machines using some compatible
protocols and three kinds of directories : physical addresses, software
domain names and brainware real life mneomics. We have to start working
seriously to understand how all that may work and to dramatically improve
security, stability and innovation.

In doing that we must have no a priori (against OSI or others, or pro
TCP/IP) otherwise we will not wind up with a performing solution. We are
right now in a clean sheat situation, having identified that the current
system just does not deliver.
jfc