[ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

Dear all,

Bret Faussett asked:
>If I were more adept at reading government-speak,
>I'm sure I'd see the deeper meaning, but on its face, I don't read this as a
>change over the status quo. Did I miss something?

I have prepared a red-lined document comparing the old and
new version of Resolution 102:

    http://www.icannchannel.de/res102-comp.pdf (54 kB PDF)
 or http://www.icannchannel.de/res102-comp.htm (13 kB HTML/CSS)

The differences between the ITU Resolution 102 from the Minneapolis
Plenipotentiary Conference 1998 and the Marrakesh 2002 version
which Elisabeth Porteneuve forwarded are sometimes subtle, and
sometimes not so subtle.

E.g. in the last sentence, when the Plenipotentiary now encourages
member states' participation "in the management of Internet domain
names and addresses" instead of participation "in the entities
managing" them.

E.g. in the "emphasizing" section, the differentiation between
"technical and coordination tasks, for which technical private
bodies can be responsible" and "public interest matters" -- and
the latter include stability and security.

Best regards,
/// Alexander