Re: [ga] What Do They Mean By "Inaccurate Data"

Hello,

Great questions by John (I've taken the liberty of cc'ing this to the
OpenSRS mailing list, as I think they are very relevant to resellers).

I would hope that OpenSRS and/or other registrars would make a
statement as to what constitutes inaccurate WHOIS data, and under what
conditions they'd delete a name that would appear to fail a "test". As
John says, just because one doesn't answer the phone for just anyone
(there are things like answering machines), or doesn't respond to every
crackpot's emails, doesn't mean that the contact data is invalid.

Some form of annual verification, or something, to confirm that ALL of
one's domains are fine might be best, to not have to worry about losing
one's domains inadvertantly. Also, instead of just deleting a name
within 15 days, I think the name should go "on hold" or something, to
sort things out. Deletion should be a last resort. Folks DO go on
vacations, or have e-mail outages, so a one-time test of their email or
phone number that goes unanswered for a period doesn't mean that their
data is invalid. I bet that there are still a lot of invalid @home.com
email addresses in the WHOIS database, for instance.

Security of our names is paramount, when we've made a huge investment
in acquiring and branding our domains.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/