De: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]En nombre de Jonathan
Weinberg
Enviado el: Miercoles, 09 de Octubre de 2002 12:39 PM
Para: Elisabeth Porteneuve
CC: froomkin@law.miami.edu; ga@dnso.org
Asunto: Re: [ga] .ct

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
> "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu> wrote:
> > This is a very helpful note.  Please could you clarify one thing for me,
> > though: when were the first ccTLD delegations?
> > In particular, were they before or after 1988?
>
> 60 [28] ccTLD has been designated (not delegated) before the end of 1988
> (and all started in 1985).

	On the "was it IANA that made the delegations" issue in Michael's
question:  Tony Rutkowski told me once that before 1991 Postel and
Reynolds were uninvolved in the ccTLD delegation process.  That, he said,
was all handled by the SRI NIC (where the hostmaster during the late '80s
was Mary Stahl).  I asked Mary Stahl whether she could confirm this.  She
wrote back that her memory of the period was hazy, but that the criteria
for assigning ccTLDs were arrived at by discussion between ISI and SRI.
She added that during the early period ccTLDs were generally registered by
researchers with connections to ARPA at universities in the countries in
question.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com