RE: [ga] Loss of voting rights, October 20, 2002

Hello,

I suspect the real reason for this is linked to WLS, and the appeal
that is currently underway. If those 3 constituencies were removed (all
of whom voted against WLS), then only 4 constituencies remain. The
Business Constituency can still be counted on to vote against WLS.

However, the IP and gTLD registries voted for WLS last time. That
leaves the Registrars Constituency as the possible "swing vote" (they
voted against WLS last time), that could give a new vote a 3/4
majority, and thus a "consensus". And if you saw the WLS debate in the
Registrars Constituency last time, I wouldn't put it past some of the
participants to try to reverse their vote by any means possible (e.g.
voting according to market share, so that NSI would have a majority in
the Registrars Constituency).

Note that ICANN has seemingly not responded to Dotster's appeal, and
could be waiting for the above scenario to be in place.

However, the above can be thwarted, if the need arises, by having
opponents of WLS donate the money to one of the three disenfranchised
constituencies (whoever owes the least, presumably), so that they can
cast one more vote against WLS. With 2 out of 5 votes against WLS, even
if the Registrars Constituency position was turned, they'd still be
short the 2/3 majority required to make a new "consensus".

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/