Re: User input in the ccSO (was Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

On Monday 30 September 2002 05:46 am, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> Anyway, since there are policies that would
> benefit from central coordination - just to name one, WHOIS uniformity
> across the ccTLDs - there must be a way for the ccSO to develop such
> policies at a central level, with the input of the users too. This is why
> we (as the ALAC Advisory Group) suggested that there should be an At Large
> liaison to the ccSO Council. I would strongly suggest, for example, that
> when the ccSO sets up working groups it should include a representative of
> the ALAC in them. Would you consider this?

How can you reconcile a central level with regards to policy for cctld's when
the point has been made over and over again that each cctld falls under the
laws and conventions of its own country?  Once more, if a country has laws
that prohibit a public whois, how can a central policy that mandates a public
whois be reconciled?  Answer:  it cannot.  cctlds have to be able to
determine policies for themselves, only governed by what their indiividual
countries alllow.

IMO, if there is to be any cooperation by the cctlds with ICANN, ICANN must
recognize the autonomy of the cctlds.

Leah