Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Jefsey and all assembly members,

  Jefsey, yo have again outdone yourself.  Excellent and accurate
argument, in fact I would call it flawless.  Others of course will
differ on that statement.  >;)

  Indeed as you rightly point out.  .COM is essentially dead, it just
hasn't laid down yet.  >:) .NET will soon also die,
The reasons you nicely brought together here are the same ones
made some time ago now, but you did a much better
job here of abbreviating them.  Well done!

  ICANN has been from the beginning trying to map the DNS
and the Internet into the brick and mortar world of commerce
and other business/trade exchange.  The UDRP was ICANN's
first attempt at doing that.  It has essentially failed or is failing,
depending on how carefully and how long you have been following
events.  The Registry and registrar contracts are yet another example,
as has been discussed a number of time now, is the second mistake
that has cost the stakeholders/users and investors, literally billions
of $$ thus far,
and more to follow.

  The fact that ICANN's real lack of a truly consensus (Measured)
process has never really been in place, adds more fuel to this now
raging fire.  It must be extinguished soon or the damage will be
even more severe.

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

>    Dear Peter,
> the entire domain name issue is contradictory due to the ACPA and IP
> people
> misunderstanding the nature of the domain name. I went into the same
> problem at the IETF with the multinational and Babel Names.
>
> There are actually three adressing layers:
> 1. hardware: the IP address
> 2. software: the domain name reoslving into the IP address
> 3. brainware: the mnemonic resolving in people's mind to .com or for
> locall
> name to the local ccTLD.
>
> Obviously famous marks are brainware and mnemonic. Not understanding
> the
> difference between an alphanumeric pointer (domain name) and an
> intuitive
> feeling (human reaction to a famous mark) created the problem. ccTLDs
> wanting to capitalize on people's legitimacy and benefiting frolm a
> mnemonic resolution into their ccTLD were de facto more brainware
> oriented
> and more real. The LIC legitimacy makes sense (however how many ccTLD
> really relate with their @large? I would be happy some really would)
>
> gTLDs cannot do the same.
>
> 1. they are blocked by ACPA which is based upon the idea that layer 3
> does
> not exist
> 2. they suvive on that. Otherwise they would not have sold a single
> .biz or
> .info.
> 3. to help maintaining that error, ICANN helped .com grow into a too
> large
> community without unity. Un manageable. Verisign would(will) die from
> it.
>
> Now, .info could operate as the specialized TLD Postel wanted.
> Com and net are beyond recovery.
>
> Competition is over the mnemonic resolution. Which TLD are the people
> associate to a mnemonic?
> By "default" they add ".com". Find a way to confuse them, you rebuild
> the
> market.
>

> jfc
>

> On 00:05 30/09/02, Peter Dengate Thrush said:
>
> >comments below

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801